Monday, October 27, 2008

Where Have I Been!?! Oh yeah...China! :)







So it's definitely long over due; it's now been almost 5 months now since I've written my last post! So much has gone on and oh how things have changed! I now walk down the street and say, "You know, today is a good day!" and it seems oddly ironic that most of my days are now wonderful! Such a change from days of crying, an inordinate amount of alcohol drinking!, and wishing I was back in the States! I am now quite in love with our new city~ the good and the bad, along with the crazy days and the wonderfully lazy weekends with my family!

I shall have to write a blog over our trip to Tokyo and Yokohama, Japan! It was utterly exciting and as for those who have asked, such a different world from China! I suppose I should write one later on our trips to Suzhou ( "The Venice of the East") and Beijing; both two exciting and wonderful trips we've had. Much to say, but my son, Jack, has just turned two and I'm amazed at what a world traveler he is! Oh what a world!

Tonight I am sitting with my son~ listening to a little ABBA (oh how it gets me moving!), enjoying a lovely evening. Jason, is off working in Singapore for a few days~ what a world traveler he is as well...this, of a man, who has never lived out of the city of Tulsa and now travels all over Eastern Asia! He just sent me a picture of his view where he's enjoying a nice beer. I think his days of travel can be somewhat nice...yet, he does come home with some odd stories. He has karaoked (big over here!), which I never thought my husband would do, let alone to N'Sync, I believe! Oh yes, and please ask him about how he let a Chinese man tickle his feet on an airplane once... well, there's a story!

I went and enrolled Jack in school today; he will be starting once we return from the States after Christmas. One thing I have quickly learned here is that all expat children go to school (and at a very young age), also regardless of whether the Mother/"Mum" is working or not. They look at you half crazy if you don't have an "ayi" or your child is not in school! However, the program I have found for Jack is simply amazing! He shall be taught both English and Chinese and accompanied at school by a broad spectrum of countries~ Australia, Taiwan, China, American, Europe. Just like our friends we have met here~ from all over! It's now not what area of Tulsa are our friends living but what country our friends were once living! It is now life for us and we are loving it. I so enjoy seeing all the different aspects of different cultures, especially their language. I met one of my girlfriends for coffee the other day and she walks up with her sunglasses on and to my "Hi! How are you?" she responds, "Bugged". Hmmm, so of course, I have to ask her what that means!?!? Well, she was exhausted! Can I come back to the States and use the new slang too? I've decided it's just a little too much fun not to really!

So I have to also include in here Jason and I's little joke: "Who have we become?" and when we say this we laugh because honestly, never in a million years did we expect to be in China, let alone doing some of the things that we do. We almost always have to say it when we go to Carrefour on Sunday ( a dreadful mistake everytime) as you cannot imagine a more packed place, and it's just for groceries! Keep your eyes alert and stand your ground, for they will always try to cut in line. I hope I don't go back to the States and get as forceful and pushy as I am here (a survival, otherwise you'll be there all day!). We also have to say our line when we go for "light" groceries (those that don't involve using our driver, Steven). It's quite a sight! We are on our bikes; Jack in the back of mine in his little seat. Then I have a basket in the front crammed full of bags, one usually on my shoulder, and of course, my Louis Vuitton bag (wouldn't be fashionable without it!) and Jason behind us with his shoulders full of bags of groceries! We always laugh as we screech in and out of the taxis, the hundreds of pedistrians and noisy buses. We will have to get a picture of it soon...

My finally updated blog would definitely not be complete without the mentioning of "Torture Tuesday", which, oh dear, falls upon me yet again tomorrow! It's named this because this is the day that Mary and Flo (so I've named) come from our apartment complex service center for their weekly cleaning. These ladies just are too much stometimes. Every week they come in and say "Ni hao ty ty", which pretty much means they think that I'm a housewife that does nothing but get pampered all day. Contrary to their belief and every week, I have to say "No ty ty!" and they just laugh then continue to talk to me in Mandarin as if, I understand what they are saying. Jack, of course, is never napping at this point and runs around full of life for new visitors! My ayi is here, so that is now 3 extra people. Then it always seems that tehere is something that goes wrong or something that needs delivered or fixed on Tuesday...and always around the time Mary and Flo are here. So by Tuesday afternoon at 2 9if I'm here) I've got at least 5- 6 random extra people here floating around. Needless to say, they all just look at me and we all have our own thoughts in our head...I'm just thinking, "does it really ttake 3 people to hang this picture?" Jason just laughs and enjoys this... I don't know that I'll ever be fully used to it, but most days I just shrug it off and know that this is China!!

Tomorrow is yet another wonderful day! The weather has gone from very warm to very cold just in a matter of days. Apparently we don't get much of actual fall weather! So tomorrow we are headed off to the South Bund Fabric Market, the one stop shop for getting WHATEVER you want made; tell me this is not every girls dream!!!!! I almost fainted the first time I walked in there...so did Jason when he found out I discovered this place!!!

*The first picture above is of Jack scarfing food from our favorite restaurant, Ding Tai Fung (the best dumplings and steamed buns!), the second is from Jack's 2nd Brithday party!, and the third is a night out on the town in Xiantandi! Tokyo blog coming soon...!!!

1 comment:

In This Wonderful Life said...

YAY!! :) I've got it set up on my page to let me know when my favorite blogs update. love it :) jack is so handsome.