Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Wiltshire's Invade Tokyo!!!!

Look who made it to Tokyo! Jack's beloved "Bedah" (his monkey blanket!), but unlike many this guy is a world traveler as well! Anywhere Jack travels, "Bedah" is sure to be, so we decided that he also need to be included in the pictures and mentioning in our writings. He is certainly a part of the family!

Our last trip in this Asian world led us to Tokyo and Yokohama, Japan. A completely different world from that of China. I really had no clue to expect such a different culture, yet some lifestyles that can also be very similar. We actually went the first part of October during the Chinese National Holiday. This (and the Chinese New Year) are the biggest holidays celebrated in China, thus giving the people an entire week off (7 days exact). The National Day is the day that Mao Zedong stood in Tianamen Square (in Beijing) and proclaimed that the people of China had been freed, thus the beginning of the People's Republic of China. During this time many travel to see their families (some very far away) or await family members to come visit. The weekend before we had red lanterns hung in the entrance of our apartment complex, as well as all over the city. They were simply stunning at night; a red glow that illuminated the bustling city!

Nonetheless, we left the big city of Shanghai for a family trip to Japan! Upon arriving in the Tokyo airport, I was quickly (and more than once!) corrected by my dear husband on my choice of language. Meaning, I am so used to speaking in Chinese/Mandarin, that I so continued the same language with the Japanese. A terrible mistake I'm told to make. Obviously, no one likes to be confused for an ethnicity/culture that they are not. The first two days were difficult as I said, "Xie Xie" or "Ni hao" far too many times. Don't worry, Jason was quick to help, which I much appreciated. Tough and fun learning all the different languages that encompass this vast world!

I actually did bring my journal with me on this trip (something I mean to write in more often) and took to note quickly the many differences that there are between the Japanese and the Chinese (whether the people, the cities, or the culture). What a worldly difference! Not to mention that Japan is one of the most expensive cities in the world, whether for foreign items or not.

From our very first evening, I noticed, of course, all of the foreign stores~ so many I hadn't seen in a long time! J.Crew, Gap, Gymboree, Hard Rock Cafe!, all there greeting me, with massive price markups, so joyous then sad! The second thing that I noticed was how little attention they paid Jack. I mean, everywhere in China with Jack, he is a mini celebrity! Why, because he is a foreign baby and they love them! Now at first I was taken back by this, but realized that their culture is very composed. They would never throw themselves over at a foreigner- over a baby or something else. I often caught Japanese looking and gazing at Jack, but that was it. Here in China, we don't make it through Carrefour without someone coming up and saying "Ni hao" or grabbing at Jack. Another major difference that I saw between the two countries was how spotlessly clean and organized Japan was! Oh my; it was like a dream! Except if you ever had any trash, there were no trashcans! Kidd you not! A spotless city, with someone cleaning on every corner, stairway or aisle, yet barely any trashcans. It was a constant mystery...and somewhat aggarvation to me! Of course there are many more differences and similarities, but living in China, those were the three that I thought were the most obvious on our trip.

Well in and about all of the lifestyle differences that I took in, we were also able to sightsee! Japan is truly a marvelous city-very similar to an Asian New York City, yet much more clean, organized and calm. I don't think I heard much of a honk of a horn there; the traffic seems to effortlessly flow together seemingly well. The Ginza district was absolutely fantastic-probably my favorite! So many different stores to see and an endless aray of Asian cuisine, although hard to figure out. In China most menus have pictures or English; not very common in Japan. Before strolling the alleyways in the Ginza district, we were able to walk around (your not allowed in) the Imperial Palace. Talk about a gorgeous landscape. Very meticulously perfect as well.

While in Japan we also went to Yokohama to the Chinatown! It is the largest Chinatown in the world; funny but we had to visit and enjoy some nice steamed buns. They also have a temple there dedicated to Ma Zhu Miao, that is worshipped in Chinatowns all over the world. She is known as the "Mother of Heaven" and the "Goddess of the Sea". A beautiful temple with the most entricate and detailed artwork. I always have to take pictures of the ceilings and wall panels.

We also went to the Tokyo Ueno Zoo and park; miles of park area with flowers and plants you have never seen before. The weather was wonderful as well so it was a great time. The zoo also had some rather bizarre animals, ones that certainly aren't at the Tulsa Zoo! We were all too excited to see the famous giant black and white panda bears but near the end of the tour found out that the last giant panda at the zoo had died in April! Thankfully we didn't get Jack's hopes up (he didn't know) so it wasn't too much of a disappointment! We did, however, get to see the red panda (although it looks more like a fox).

Tokyo was a fabulous trip and Jason and I are going to try and make a trip back in the Spring (without our little Jack!) and enjoy more of the city and nightlife. Not too much to do for children in Tokyo (other than Tokyo Disney and he's a little too young for that...maybe next summer!).

Konnichiwa...Sayonura. XOXO.










No comments: