Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Reality of Our New Lives!

Well, yes, it does seem that our little "vacation" has somewhat passed and we are living in our new world; reality has come to us in an unimaginable way! The last few weeks have been, as an understatement, quite busy (thus my reason for no blogging!). Upon first arriving, I read a book stating all the emotions and feelings one will go through. Basically, the first month is the honeymoon phase; busy getting settled in, viewing the city, meeting new people~ all wonderful! Then, you come to the realization that you are far far away from all of your loved ones and that this new "home" is much different than any place you could have ever imagined! Not to say that we don't like it here, we do and are very excited for our next few years here, however, with every good thing in life there are sure to be the downsides.

One thing that Jason and I have both realized is that upon returning to the United States, we are going to be living an EASY life. Everything back at home seems so simple; well that's because it is! The smallest tasks here in Shanghai are quite dutiful and sometimes can be an all day ordeal. There is also never a time when things are slow or uncrowded. Yesterday we were at IKEA shopping and I told Jason just to stay in the "zone". You really just have to pretend like you are the only one there (and this is hard standing amongst hundreds of other foreigners and Chinese). I have to describe most stores like this as the people (us) being one of the balls in the pin ball machines just being batted back and forth; this is kind of what it feels like. Then (and this is Jason's favorite I know) when you try getting in an elevator~ don't be surprised if you are positive that not one more person can squeeze in, yet the door opens and you find 6 to 7 more Chinese cram themselves in. Luckily an elevator ride is not very long, otherwise you would find a Chinese crammed in your chest (obviously because of the height factor) for too long! These are moments when I truly can't wait for some people to visit and experience this first hand!

Speaking on a much more realistic note is for me, of course, to mention the earthquake that hit Wenchuan. Two weeks ago, on Monday, May 12th, was Jason and I's Anniversary. Jason was planning on taking off early but as it would have happened the plans were slighted just a bit. I had been out running errands when I came home and received a phone call from Jason telling me that they had to evacuate their building! Of course my mind was thinking of all sorts of reasons for this, but I never imagined it would have been because of an earthquake. Even though the earthquake was over 900 miles away (in the Sichuan province) there were still areas in Shanghai that felt it. Jason's building is in downtown and he is on the 22nd floor. He was in the middle of a meeting when all of a sudden he felt really nauseous and then could feel the building sway. Thus you can imagine the mass histeria as tens of thousands evacuated in the downtown area not knowing what was going on. As Jason could only feel a slight rift from the earthquake you have to think of how the others felt (and are still feeling) the impact of the earthquake. Now the toll has reached over 60,000 people which is truly a world catastrophe. I know that there are many here in Shanghai that have family members in the Sichuan province and are still trying to figure out what is going on. Many in China leave the smaller provinces for a better life in the bigger cities (Shanghai, Beijing, etc..) and often leave their parents and children behind, only sending money when they can. This is definitely a time when we must thank God for how blessed we are in the United States that we have the opportunities and lives that we have.

Jason and I did go ahead and go to dinner, celebrating our 2nd Anniversary over in China! I did have to write that I never IMAGINED we would be celebrating it in Shanghai, but that's what you have to love about this world and it's every changing surprises! We had dinner at the JinMao tower in downtown Pudong at Cucina on the 56th floor. Let me just tell you that the view alone was worth it all, even though it was some of the best Italian food I have ever had! Our view was of most of Shanghai (downtown Pudong, the river, all the way over into Puxi) and it was truly magnificent. I must say that all of our anniversary celebrations should be that memorable! Thank you Shanghai!

Big weekend for us it was because the day before was Mother's Day and it was wonderful as well! We took a journey (yes everything is a journey here!) out to the Shanghai Wild Animal Park in Pudong! So the reason I know about these places is of course, because I'm constantly reading about everything to do with Shanghai! Thus, once we go to these places we end up seeing that it's not like we really imagined. We get out to this remote area (45 minutes from our apartment) to find that the park is 2300 acres and includes more than 10,000 animals! We were there for 3 hours and didn't see all of the zoo. Also noting that when I read about this, my book had mentioned that there had been 3 tiger attacks since 1999. Well, I wasn't nervous about it until we went up to the "Animal Baby Farm" and I could see probably why they did have attacks. First of all, there are not really any zoo representatives anywhere. Second of all, it doesn't seem that they have the best security/restraints for their animals. Lastly, when we went to see the baby Cheetahs (they weren't so baby) and their container wall was just as tall as my chest. So really not so tall. Jason and I quickly assessed that the cheetahs could very much fly "cat daddy" over the walls if they wanted to and with very little ease! We had a quick look then scampered away! Like I mentioned, everything in Shanghai is an adventure! The rest of the zoo was fabulous though; Jack loved it! We saw every kind of animal; zebras, kangaroos, elephants, bears, lions, tigers, a liger!, apes, monkey, etc.. imaginable and even enjoyed some "local" Chinese food (were just hoping it wasn't any of the zoo animals!). They even have a tiny amusement park area with a carousel, bumper cars, ferris wheel. The zoo had everything! We are definitely going back again...and bringing the video camera (yes my fault I forgot it the first time!).

One last funny tid bit that I have to add is how many arguments and fights I've seen since I've been here. It is truly hilarious! Now, these are amongst everyone; we've seen old, young, men, women~ pretty much anyone. Granted some of these are just arguments, but when the Chinese get in arguments they scream at one another in the middle of whereever they are. It does make it a little more funny because we have no clue what they're saying. Then, there are the numerous "fist fights" per say, that I've seen. I say "fist fights" because the men that I've seen get in literal fights is more than hysterical. I really hate to say it but sometimes its worse than seeing teenage girls in fights; actually the videos of girls fights we see on the news is much worse. Their fights are very femine and somewhat gentle (aside from the yelling). I've seen them in the children's market, the grocery store, on the side of the street, at a restaurant...everywhere! Now that I've seen these, I know for certain that Jason will never get bullied or rattled by any Chinese!

Memorial Day Weekend it is and we are not celebrating; we are so thinking of those back home and how weird it is not to be there! We do so hope that it is beautiful weather wherever our loved ones may be. We send all of our love and hopefully I'll not miss so many weeks before writing again!

Love to all from Shanghai!!! XOXO

1 comment:

In This Wonderful Life said...

hey chicky! i miss your blog. it was fun. i've gotten better at mine. miss ya!